Sunday, August 7, 2011

Networking? Try Indiepublic!

This is a great new site where crafters can meet, chat, show off their work or items for sale and also enter brilliant competitions. I've been a member for a few months now and love the way the site works and also the people I have met, so I thought it was about time I told you a little bit more about Indiepublic.

Here is my interview with Indiepublic's founder Sion, from mid October 2007...

1. What is http://www.indiepublic.com/?

Indiepublic is a social network for independent artists, designers, retailers and those that blog about them, as well as a site for their supporters.

2. When and why did you decide to set up a social network for Independent Artists?

The "when" is fairly simple; Indiepublic was launched in July of 2007. The "why" is slightly more involved. Here's the story: I also have been running another blog called Cuteable (http://www.cuteable.com)/ since October of 2006, with an emphasis on cute things for you and your home. As Cuteable grew, I found myself continually inspired by the creativity, hard work and friendliness of independent artists and designers, and wondered if there was another way to give these wonderful folks a "home" on the web.

After several months of thinking I hit upon the idea of creating a social network, whereby these artists and designers could not only further promote their businesses, but also make friends and be inspired by one another. Indiepublic is the result of these efforts, and has exceeded my expectations beyond my wildest dreams.

3. What can I see and do there?

There are quite a few things you can do on Indiepublic! Members of course can create their own personal profiles and share their photos, videos and start their own blogs. They can also make friends with other Indiepublic members as well as join groups and participate in the forums. In addition, we have a Learning Library where you can read tips and tutorials from our members, as well as an ongoing Member of the Day which features one randomly selected member to be featured on the homepage.

All of this can be quite overwhelming for newcomers, which is why I've put together a FAQ (link: Indiepublic - FAQs) to help folks get started.

4. How many members are there?

At present, we have approximately 2950 members. We should pass the 3000 member mark before the end of this month, which is very exciting considering that Indiepublic started with a single invitation to 10 of my closest blogging and Etsy friends!

5. I noticed a new site Indie Contests…What is Indiecontests?

Indiecontests (http://www.indiecontests.com)/ is a brand new site I launched with deals and contests from independent artists, designers and retailers (as well as bloggers). As both an artist and a shopper, I thought it'd be great to have a single place where people could not only find great deals but also further promote their indie goods and services. Like Indiepublic, Indiecontests is of course completely free and has been very popular, with over 300 submissions in less than a month.

Thank you Sion for talking to us about Indiepublic!

Also for anyone interested there is a group of us already on their, so come over and check us out at http://indiepublic.ning.com/group/dawanda

Written by Sara of Sara's Texture Crafts

No comments:

Post a Comment