Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Introducing... On a Whimsey!


1. DaWanda Shop Name: On A Whimsey
2. DaWanda Shop URL: http://en.dawanda.com/shop/OnaWhimsey
3. When did you open your shop? 21 June 2008
4. Are you in the DaWanda Shop Directory here? pending.
5. What Category are you under? pending under art.
6. What do you sell? Encaustic paintings to suit every taste and budget!
7. Describe 2 of your current products. ACEOs (Art Cards, Editions and Originals as well as paintings in every size up to A3 size (roughly 16" x 12" or 41 cms x 31 cms)




8. Tell me a bit about you... Encaustic Art! Well, until a few months ago I had never heard of it and certainly did not have any idea what it could be! Was it something to do with burning? I guess you are getting warm..... this medium dates back to Egyptian, Greek and Roman times when wax used to be burned into wood to create images of religious icons etc. Nowadays, with technology, the art has become so much simpler and fun to do! All you need are some pigmented wax blocks and a basic smooth bottomed iron set at a cool temperature along with some encaustic, specially prepared card. Now you melt the wax and manipulate it with the hot iron! You can also use other tools like a stylus with different points for finer work, a hairdryer to blow the wax or just plain old tissue or a toothbrush to effects. Its up to you! What is so exciting about this medium is that once you start... you never know where you are going to end up! You can check my blog for more information on this wonderful art.

Obviously, I try to give my paintings to family and friends but there has to come a point when they have had enough! So, that's where somewhere like Dwanda comes in. I listed a few paintings, a variety to show what I can do. In addition I sell my paintings on Etsy too.

And, so, my work space is divided between fabric and wax! I love to quilt and crochet too. However, due to lack of space I have to decide which I am going to do that day because although you can transfer a wax image onto fabric you don't really want splodges of wax on baby items!!

So, there you have me a very small nutshell! I so look forward to meeting many more people on Dwanda and hope to share my love of encaustics with you all.

9. Do you have a website, or blog? http://onawhimsey.wordpress.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment