Monday, June 6, 2011

Introducing... Duffy Designs!


1. DaWanda Shop Name: Duffy Designs
2. Dawanda Shop URL: http://en.dawanda.com/shop/Duffydesigns
3. When did you open your shop? Jan.1,2008
4. Are you in the DaWanda Shop Directory here? Yes
5. What Category are you under? Jewellery category
6. What do you sell: Hand fabricated metal jewellery. I use primarily sterling silver, some copper, and bronze with found objects such as river rocks, shells, porcelain shards , and anything that looks natural and beautiful. My customers have begun giving me items to incorporate into my designs and I love the input! The shells, for instance, come from a special area of the Atlantic Coast off of North Carolina. They are roughly tumbled by the sea so that they become beautifully abstact. I've used the shell, rock,and porcelain shards in mosaic patterns with grout and I like that look. My designs have and are evolving with the various materials I find to use.

7. Describe 2 of your current projects:

I like to do so many different things it's really hard to keep a coherent "look" for my work. I think I will always, however, construct silver "boxes" in which to showcase objects I love. I will continue working with the shells and the porcelain shards in mosaics, but I also have been enjoying etching bronze and copper for use in larger designs. I'm still doing the Prismacolored steel designs because they are an endless rainbow of colors. I bounce between that and black! I have a way to blacken steel with heat and a beeswax mixture, so that's another way to go. I work on several ideas at a time.



8. Tell me a bit about you...
I am a 62 year old grandmother of three, a wife, and am owned by a Beagle and two cats. I love to garden and read when I'm not making jewelry. I'm very interested in learning . I still go to metal working workshops at Arrowmont Crafts School in the summers. I am just beginning to give classes in metal work. That will be a new adventure, I'm sure. I used to do many art shows but am down to one local one and an Open Studios event in November. It's great to have the feed back from those events.

9. Do you have a website, or blog? http://www.duffydesigns-metalworkingfiend.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment